Prom season is just around the corner, and let us get one thing straight — events may come and go, but a prom night rules them all. So naturally, you need to get your hands on the best prom makeup ideas as you don’t want any bad experiments with that prom look.
Whether you are a no-makeup look pro or a bold, out-of-the-box princess, your prom makeup must be perfect. No matter what color your eyes, outfit, or skin tone, if you are worked up for your prom-night look, we have got your back. Whether you want to ooze glamor or go for a simple look, this article lists some of the most sought-after ideas to light up your prom night. So, brace yourselves to be the showstopper diva you are and land all the compliments!
- Work With A Theme: If the prom organizers have decided on a theme, work with it, or come up with a theme and coordinate your makeup with your outfit and props.
- Balance Your Look: Ensure your makeup and outfit balance each other out. If the gown is heavily sequined, add only a dash of glitter to your makeup. Or match the vibrant color of your outfit and eyeshadow, keeping the rest neutral.
- Prime And Set: Do not skip the primer for the base and setting spray for the finish. These two products will keep the makeup in place as you dance the night away.
- Rehearse The Look: Try out your entire makeup look, complete with outfit, hair, jewelry, accessories, and shoes in in advance to ensure everything fits perfectly and fix whatever is lacking before prom day.
- Do Makeup First: Always begin with makeup, then outfit if it goes over the head, then hair, and shoes come last.
Stunning Prom Makeup Ideas
1. Natural Prom Makeup
Natural makeup does not mean any makeup at all. It is simple, understated, comfortable and being suited specifically for you and your appearance. You can wear your favorite makeup all over the face and create a natural prom makeup look. The idea is to conceal something that you are not very happy about and define your beauty. It will help you define your features with elegance instead of covering them up. You can start by building thin layers of your cosmetics until you get the desired coverage.
Always begin with a proper skincare routine, followed by a moisturizer and foundation (depending on your style and needs ). It could be tinted moisturizer, bb cream, or full coverage foundation. Next, highlight your eyes and lips with a soothing color that complements your skin tone. Remember, highlighting and contouring should be done with featherlight touches. Finally, coat the lashes with mascara and use tinted or clear eyebrow gel to create a feathered, yet full-brow look.
This easy-breezy prom makeup look will be your all-time favorite to stand out, looking naturally beautiful and unique. Dewy cheeks, high-shine lips, and a tad extra oomph of mascara will make you look nothing less than a fairytale.
2. Simple Prom Makeup
If you wish to get flawless and elegant prom makeup without being over the top, you can opt for simple and casual makeup for your prom night. However, you will have to take it a notch up than your regular wear. To learn this prom makeup style, keep up with the routine but in a glamorous way!
Prep your skin with your favorite nourishing moisturizer. Apply a skin-tone matching foundation. Visit a professional brows artist to get your brows done, or you also can use tinted and clear gel instead. Neutral-toned eyeshadows like peach, nude, and taupe can glamorize your overall appearance. Do not forget to draw a precise, thin-lined eyeliner and top the lashes with plenty of mascara. Lastly, use a lip pencil and blend it in the shape of your lips, add a little bit of matching or lighter lipstick, and blend toward the center of the lips. As a finishing touch, add clear lip gloss to create a defined look and you are ready to walk the ramp!
Go for black eyeliner that is creamy and does not have green or blue undertones. A pure black eyeliner will help accentuate the eyes.
3. Prom Makeup For Dark Skin
You are mistaken if you think you can get only a common look done if you are dark-skinned. Dark skin tones are versatile. From a nude, calm prom look to a bold and bright one, you can try it all. For a composed and comfortable prom appearance, you can play around with soothing brown and bronze tones, too. A little touch of highlighters on the sharp edges can define your features.
Use nude-friendly shades to add warm tones to your eyes and lips. Line your eyes with a flat eyeliner brush and a pinch of kohl on the waterline for a little more accent. You can also add gold undertones or emphasize with coffee/ dark brows color. Finally, line your lashes with black mascara, and believe us, girl, you will slay! A quick tip – If you want to feel a little bit more glam, add 2-3 individual lashes with a thick base for the outer corner of your eyes to create a cat-eye effect with no extra effort.
Nothing is more powerful and complementing than a dark-skinned beauty wearing bold and peppy colors. You can also play with glittery and shimmery eyeshadows if you want your prom night look to stand out. Use gold to illuminate your face, mixed with bronze and brown shades. Then, pick a pair of falsies for your lash drama and wing it with liner and mascara. Accentuate the cheekbones, forehead, and upper lips with a soft highlighter. Finally, pop up your lips with a dark red or berry shade to complete the look.
4. Smokey Eye Prom Makeup
Smokey eye can be your go-to look for almost any event — a festive party, formal event or celebration, or a night out with the girls. The best part of a smokey eye look is that it doesn’t necessarily have to be in the traditional black and brown shades. Instead, you can play it up with contemporary colors such as gold and metallic or lilac shades. To get this timeless, trendy look, work with the shape of your eyes. Apply the cream eyeshadow (so that it can blend easily) on your lash line and outer third to slowly blend it towards the interior area, making it lighter. Then double it with a similar dry texture, so it will survive all night! It might seem tricky at first, but once you master this prom makeup look, this will be your easiest bet to look the best.
5. Gold And Rose Gold Prom Makeup
Gone are those days when only blacks, blues, and pinks were considered the right colors for a makeup look. With multiple trends emerging on the fashion scene, gold and rose gold have become the new chic statement. Highlighters, eyeshadows, bronzers, or blush in these shades can create wholesome looks for every party.
Since rose gold embodies both warm and cool shades, it looks flattering on everyone.
Make a gold base on your eyelids and layer it with rose color at the creases. Use lighter shades of this color to add blush to your cheeks. To complete the overall prom night look, you can also add somber colors to your lips. A matte hue of rose or mauve will look perfect. It won’t overpower your eyes or cheeks, or other features, creating a look that stands out in the crowd without being very loud. Oh yes, don’t forget your mascara, ladies. A little bit of eyeliner and kohl will speak volumes.
While makeup plays a major part in amping up your prom look, there are other nuances you should pay attention to as well. Head to the next section to know all about creating the most flattering prom makeup looks.
Best Prom Makeup Tips
- Know What You Are Wearing: Once you figure out what to wear for your prom night, it will be easier to figure out your makeup. After all, your prom dress decides the color palette for the makeup. Hence, we suggest finalizing your dream dress at the earliest, and prom makeup will be a cakewalk.
- Know Your Style: Collect images of all the styles you would like to create for makeup inspiration, or even create a board on Pinterest for understanding your goals better. The pictures could be a dress and a hairstyle or a prom night makeup look. They will help you analyze what you want to execute, and you can mix and match different ideas to create a unique look.
- Don’t Forget A Makeup Test: Doing a makeup test at least 2 weeks ahead before your prom night will help you get a clear picture of the time, amount of makeup, and visibility. You will be able to know the pros and cons of the makeup that you wish to do. You will know exactly what to purchase, use, and try before your actual prom day!
- Go For A Photo check: You don’t want to look cakey in the photos or have different skin tones in different body parts. So, we recommend you take photographs with your flash on to ensure the skin tone is uniform. If your face tone doesn’t match the body, use a little bronzer to warm up your face. After all, you don’t want to appear perfect in person and powder queen in pictures.
- Moisturize: Moisturize, moisturize, and moisturize. We can’t emphasize it enough. Use your moisturizer liberally and leave it on for 15 minutes and then remove the excess by using tissue in blotting movements before starting the makeup. Once absorbed, it will make your skin look hydrated and ready to take on the makeup smoothly. In addition, well-moisturized skin will look creaseless and smooth and glowy.
- Do Your Makeup Treatments On Time: Don’t wait for the last-minute hustle-bustle. It will only become chaotic and messy to do everything with a ticking clock. Be it waxing, tweezing, facial, or peeling, do them all in advance to help your skin glow on the day.
- Keep Your Brushes Ready: No makeup looks flawless without the right and clean set of brushes. Invest in good-quality brushes that help you achieve a perfectly blended look. Know how much product your brush picks up and how well it blends. Lastly, keep your brushes clean and away from dust.
- Maintain A Routine: Less sleep and water can make you look dehydrated and dull, no matter how good your makeup is. You don’t wish for dark circles to ruin your makeup, right? So don’t miss out on your sleep due to overexcitement. Instead, maintain a healthy diet and drink enough water to keep your skin healthy.
- Don’t Forget To Be Happy: While you can have plenty of prom night makeup tips, nothing beats a beautiful smile. Whether you wear nude makeup or a bold one, the smile will cover all the flaws and imperfections. Remember to smile because your prom night will be something to cherish for a lifetime.
On A Final Note
Reading through the prom makeup ideas and tips must have got you all excited and ready to try out the best looks. There might be some more prom makeup ideas, but we presented the best and most timeless of them all in this article. So, brace yourselves and tighten your seat belts as you start shopping for this prom season. You will get nothing wrong with this guide. Grab that princess-like dress, prep your skin, dab onto your glowing makeup, and do the ball. Finally, do not forget to take plenty of photos and make the best of your prom night!
Frequently Asked Questions
How many hours before prom should I do my makeup?
You can start your makeup at least two hours before prom. It helps avoid rushing and gives you enough time to deal with any makeup mishaps.
Should I wash my hair the night before prom?
Yes, you can wash your hair the night before prom. Also, put on a hair mask to nourish your hair and enhance its shine.
Should hair be up or down for prom?
There are no specified hairstyles for prom. You can style your hair up or down. You can style your hair in a way that complements your face shape and outfit.
- You can choose to go with natural and simple prom makeup or make heads turn with smokey eyes and gold and rose gold makeup looks.
- Do not compromise on good-quality brushes for a flawless makeup look.
- Eat healthily, sleep well, and drink plenty of water to glow naturally for your prom.
Capture the spotlight on your special night with this prom makeup tutorial. From glamorous smoky eyes to a flawless complexion, check out the video for a step-by-step guide to create a stunning and unforgettable look.